Saturday, September 26, 2009

Canning Salsa

Patrick was golfing with friends today, so I decided to spend the day canning salsa. I went to the farmer's market with the intention of only buying the ingredients for salsa and I was doing well, until I saw a huge bucket of tomatoes for only $6. I caved and bought them knowing that since Patrick was golfing I would have time to can the tomatoes as well. Well, its a good thing this was my last stop at the market as I struggled to carry them back to my car without dropping them.

Salsa Veggies

Salsa Veggies 2

Pico de Gallo

Zesty Salsa
Makes 7-8 pints

Ingredients
10 cups roughly chopped tomatoes
5 cups chopped and seeded bell peppers
5 cups chopped onions
2 1/2 cups hot peppers, chopped, seeded
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons cumin
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

Directions
Combine all ingredients except tomato paste in large sauce pot.

Simmer until desired thickness.

Stir in tomato paste.

Ladle hot salsa into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch head-space.

Process 15 minutes in a hot water bath.

Note: Use more hot peppers for a very hot salsa or less for mild. I used the seeds in one of my batches and it was pretty spicy, the other batch I didn't put any seeds in and it was much milder.
Source: RecipeZaar

Finished Product

And for your entertainment, my gigantic bag of tomatoes from the farmer's market.

Bag O Tomatoes

No comments: