Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Canning Tomatoes

Our tomatoes are still coming in pretty steadily, but we haven't had enough at a time to preserve any. On Saturday morning I decided to go to the New Hope Farmer's Market which is only 4 miles from our house, for some tomatoes. I am glad I did, I have never been to there before and it was just the right size to have a variety of produce, but not the fluff they have at the Minneapolis market. I ended up getting a huge plastic grocery bag full of tomatoes for eight dollars, not too bad.

To can the tomatoes, I just removed the skins from the tomatoes, quartered them and then added lemon juice and salt to the jars before I put them in a water bath for 45 minutes. Simply Canning was a good information source for my first time doing this. I used these tomatoes in our lasagna on Sunday, stay tuned for the recipe.

Canning Tomatoes 2


Canning Tomatoes

No comments: