Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Grandma

Last summer we planted a garden and I canned tomatoes. All summer we enjoyed the vegetables we produced and this winter it has been great to add our canned tomatoes to our cooking. The whole process of producing your own food, makes me really appreciate my grandparents way of living.

My Grandma T really enjoyed both her flower and vegetable garden. We may be more similar than I ever realized. We also both enjoy cooking and baking. Grandma was always making cookies or bran muffins, or both. From seventh grade until I was able to drive I spent a lot of time at grandma and grandpa's house. They only lived 5 blocks from school so after volleyball, basketball or golf practice I would always walk there and wait for my mom or dad to pick me up. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but I am glad that I was able to spend all that time with them then. Grandma & Grandpa had 17 other grandchildren, so I was lucky to be able to spend so much time with them alone. Sometimes we would eat dinner together and sometimes we would just have a snack, either way I always got to spend time with them almost everyday for a few years.

Last Sunday my 96 year old grandma died peacefully after a long struggle with Alzheimer's. Today she was laid to rest and is now at peace and able to reunite with my grandfather in heaven.

Here is a picture of me and my grandma. I think I was probably around nine months old.

Sara and Grandma

No comments: