Sunday, July 4, 2010

AmeriCanadian Road Trip - Canada and Michigan

We woke up on Sunday morning ready to get out of Canada. By the time we cleaned up our tent, the power was back on at the campground, so we took a shower before we left. We considered skipping the shower since the water wasn't safe to drink and we didn't want a repeat of Guatemala, but we decided it was necessary for showers.

It was actually a very nice morning considering it rained most of the night. Here is the view from the beach near our campsite.

Boat at White Lake Provencial Park

White Lake Provencial Park

After leaving the provincial park we needed to stop in White River for gas. Well, of course not they aren't off to fast start in Canada so we had to wait a few minutes to get the pumps going again after the power outage. We also got a few Canadian souvenirs there including a little Winnie-the-Pooh shirt for our nephew Ben since it was where Mr. Pooh Bear began.

Then we were off to somewhere with food options since we still hadn't eaten anything but cereal for the last couple meals. We ended up in the next town, Wawa. This town was filled with large geese sculptures. Seriously, though there were three giant geese in random parts of town. Apparently, Wawa means Wild Goose in the Ojibway Indian language, hence the need for three large geese. We also found some decent food in Wawa at Tim Horton's.

Wawa Goose

Here are the three geese of Wawa. One was at the visitor center, one was in a gas station parking lot and the last one was on top of a motel lobby.

Geese of Wawa

From Wawa we were on a mission to get to back to the USA. We didn't really stop much until we got back. We drove through Lake Superior Provincial Park for a couple hours and that was very scenic, but not much to stop and do. We saw a moose sign every 10 feet. The moose signs remind me of my Canadian Road Trip back in college with Kate, Kasie & Shanna. Oh good times.

Canadian Scenary

Finally we arrived in Sault Ste. Marie, Canada. The last town before the USA. We decided to stop at Wal-mart for a few things before crossing the border. We picked up a good amount of food with the intention to cook.

Bridge to USA

While crossing the border, we got randomly picked to get our vehicle x-rayed. There was a line of five cars and we all had to get out of the car and stand to the side to watch our things get inspected. Apparently no one was carrying anything suspicious, so we were all allowed to leave quickly. Here is the x-ray truck that drove by the cars to inspect them.

X-Ray Van to get back to America

USA Customs

And finally crossing over to Michigan.

Bridge to USA

We arrived in St. Ignace, the last town in the Upper Peninsula, and decided to check out camping options there. We found Straits State Park with a campsite left so we decided to take it since it was the 4th of July and it may be hard to find something so late in the day.

After we set up the tent, it was still early so went on a little walk. The camping map said there was a great view of the Mackinaw Bridge from the trail. Our plan was to check it out so we could watch fireworks from there later. Well, it was more like walking in the middle of the forest and here was the view.

Mackinac Bridge

We ended up climbing a ton of stairs to actually get the good view and it was worth it, especially considering the weather we would have the next day.

Mackinac Bridge & House in St. Ignace

Once we got back from our hike we were hungry for dinner. We thought about making tacos from the stuff we bought at Wal-Mart, well our campfire ring was surrounded by mud. That meant we were going out for dinner. There was an ad in the camping map for BC Pizza in St. Ignace, so we decided to eat there. The pizza and breadsticks were really good. Some of the best pizza I have had in a long time.

Dinner at BC Pizza

On our way back to the campground we were trying to figure out our fireworks plan. We decided to head to the park in St. Ignace to sit and wait for the fireworks. While we were waiting we took some pictures, looked over at Mackinac Island and just hung out. As the fireworks were started everyone was facing the water. We must have all been tourists, because you couldn't see any fireworks facing that direction. As the fireworks started, it also started raining, so everyone left the park promptly as the fireworks started. As we were walking to the car, we got to watch part of the show, but we didn't end up staying the whole time. We had seen fireworks earlier that week at home, so weren't too disapointed.

Lighthouse in St. Ignace

Here are some amateur's lighting fireworks near our spot at the park.

Fireworks in St. Ignace

No comments: