Monday, April 18, 2011

Planting Seeds

A couple weeks ago, Patrick and I were at Lowe's looking at grills and we bought some seeds to plant. I tried this a couple years ago, but I was unsuccessful. For Christmas last year my dad got me this seed growing set, so over the weekend I set out again to start our vegetable and herb garden from seeds. This year we decided to plant these vegetables and herbs: roma tomatoes, early girl tomatoes, grape tomatoes, peppers, jalapenos, onions, carrots, dill, basil, thyme, rosemary and cilantro. I started all the seeds indoors except carrots.

Planting Seeds 2011 - Seeds

Here are my supplies: the 72 count tray, popsicle sticks, gardening gloves and seed starting soil. I also used a spoon to scoop the dirt into the tray holes.

Planting Seeds 2011 Supplies

Planting Seeds 2011 - Soil

Before I put any soil in the trays, I premoistened the soil. This way you don't have to add water after you have planted your seeds and risk drowning them.

Planting Seeds 2011 - Soil

I then filled the holes according to the directions on each package. Most of my vegetables and herbs said to plant the seeds with 1/4 inch of dirt on top, so I filled the holes so there was a 1/4 inch unfilled on top. Before I added the seeds I labeled all my popsicle sticks and put them in the tray. I then added one or two seeds to each opening. And finally I added soil on top of the seeds until it was flush with the top of the tray.

Planting Seeds 2011 - Seeds Planted

Here is the tray with all the openings filled and the contents labeled.

Planting Seeds 2011 - all seeds

This is the heat mat that came with my seed starting kit. It is supposed to keep the temperature consistent.

Planting Seeds 2011 - Heating Pad

And this is how my little seedlings look currently. They are just trapped under this plastic dome trying to sprout.

Planting Seeds 2011 - with dome

Since I am obviously not an expert in growing seeds I used this article on Weekend Gardener to guide me through the process. I will keep you updated on my progress.

No comments: